Collection Development

Graphic Novel Recommendation: JEMBER by Etan Comics

Picture of Kim Tyo-Dickerson
Graphic Novel Recommendation: JEMBER by Etan Comics
by Kim Tyo-Dickerson - Wednesday, 7 April 2021, 10:24 AM

Hello Everyone!

***Please note: this Kickstarter project for the Jember Vol. 1 graphic novel ends 8 April 2021!

JEMBER: Becoming Somebody HARDCOVER (African Graphic Novel)

112-pg action/adventure story about finding your self-worth & letting go of what others think of you (with foreword by Maaza Mengiste!)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/etancomics/jemberv1

I would like to share with you an opportunity for everyone to add an outstanding comics series to your collections that you might not hear about otherwise as it is in its early stages of creation and marketing. Jember is an Ethiopian superhero series set in Addis Ababa and my family of comics and superhero geeks loves the story and characters, eagerly waiting for the next issue to be published.

Currently only available via Kickstarter, we have been reading Jember since its first issue. The current campaign is a beautiful, hardcover graphic novel ready for library circulation, collecting the first four issues of Jember and includes an introduction by author Maaza Mengiste, whose latest novel The Shadow King was shortlisted for the Booker Prize. 

Maaza Mengiste and Jember

If you are looking to diversify your graphic novel collections and share fresh, new voices out of the mainstream to balance out the Marvel and DC universes, here is a epic quest created by an all-African team of writers and artists that you and your students can look forward to supporting now and in the future with new stories and characters.

"If you are a fan of Black Panther, Shuri, Miles Morales, and similar coming-of-age stories then this graphic novel is for you!"

About creator Beserat Debebe, Worcester, MA:

Hi! I am Beserat Debebe, founder of ETAN COMICS and writer/creator of HAWI and JEMBER. I was born and raised in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. I fell in love with superheroes and fantasy stories via video games, animation shows and movies I used to watch as a kid. After coming to the US, I was introduced to the world of comics and graphic novels. I used to spend my days in libraries and bookstores reading them because I couldn’t afford them. After school + a few years in the corporate world, I finally built the courage to create the stories I’ve always wanted to see in these books; African Fantasy and Superhero Stories! You can reach me via email (info@etancomics.com) or on social media (@etancomics). Enjoy the stories!

If you choose to back this project now, deadline 8 April 2021, the graphic novels will arrive this summer. There are multiple copy options for libraries and bookstores included, along with other cool merch and there is now a Jember Original Soundtrack composed, mixed and mastered in Ethiopia and added for all backers! 

Warm regards,

Kim T-D

Head of Libraries
International School of Amsterdam
Netherlands
Twitter: @kimtyodickerson, @ISA_Libraries

Picture of Alan Jacques
Re: Graphic Novel Recommendation: JEMBER by Etan Comics
by Alan Jacques - Wednesday, 7 April 2021, 5:20 PM

Thanks Kim

I will certainly be checking that out.

Kickstarter is where new artistic comic talent is coming from now, they can self publish without a heavy handed editor influencing their work. i've gotten some amazing comics from Kickstarter in the last few years.

Picture of Kim Tyo-Dickerson
Re: Graphic Novel Recommendation: JEMBER by Etan Comics
by Kim Tyo-Dickerson - Friday, 9 April 2021, 10:07 AM

Same here, Alan, and it's great news when a comic gets to the hardcover volume stage, so much better for library circulation.

I am curious about how to get digital copies of individual issues to circulate in our digital libraries, right now we only have Follett or Sora as options...have you found a way to do circulate digital copies from Kickstarter, etc.?

Kim T-D

Head of Libraries and Upper School Librarian
International School of Amsterrdam
Netherlands
Twitter: @kimtyodickerson, @ISA_Libraries